One of the most important types of waste management and reduction is the medical waste. By combining a comprehensive recycling effort with waste prevention and management, hospitals can greatly reduce their waste. As compared to other industries, hospitals have different waste requirements. While hospitals can’t avoid having waste altogether there are several things that they can do to reduce the amount of waste in their environment.
Items that are recycled in most hospitals
- Mixed paper.
- White office paper.
- Corrugated cardboard.
- Glass bottles.
- Aluminum Cans.
- Steel cans.
The value of waste
Apart from being good for the environment, a good recycling program will help boost your healthcare environment for several years to come. It can also help you develop a comprehensive program that will eventually impact your environment positively. Depending on the materials that you recycle, you can even end up earning something for your facility. Here are some of the waste management and recycling tips that you can use.
Waste reduction tips
- You need to check if all the waste is medical. Depending on the type of waste being generated, you need to select the appropriate size of containers and place them in each room. This will help you sort out medical waste from other types of waste.
- Make sure you understand what you purchase for your facility and how you use it. By using this information, you will be able to find ways to reuse, reduce, and recycle your waste in the best way possible. Remember, almost of waste produced by hospitals are non-hazardous.
- Always make sure you evaluate the largest chunk of waste produced.
- Reuse some items. Even though certain types of waste are meant to be used only once, make sure you reuse them. By doing this, you will not only reduce the amount of waste in your facility but also save by not having to buy these things again.
Recycling tips in hospitals
Apart from reducing the amount of waste in hospitals, you need to avoid purchasing products that are made of recycled materials. The more you follow this policy the more you will be able to create a demand for recycled products. More so, whenever possible a system should be put in place that rewards the employees for their waste reduction efforts. Here are some of the recycling tips to help you
- Instead of throwing away tissues, aspirin packets, baby wipes, shampoos, and diaper you can decide to reuse them.
- Instead of using paper towels use air dryers.
- Use cloth diapers instead of disposable diapers.
- Use washable items such as bed pads, linens, and gowns among others. You can also come up with a volunteer program to help you recycle mattress pads, used blankets, and quilts.
- Reuse graduated measuring cylinders and washable plates.
When it comes to recycling programs, the idea is to add value to the materials. Waste management and recycling programs are usually important steps to consider and implement before it gets too late. These tips will definitely provide an effective approach that will help both the business and the environment for more check out this home page. Since we are living in resource-constrained world we need to avoid wastages.